Venue: Confucius Institute for Scotland, Abden House, 1 Marchhall Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 5HP
Contact: Byron Russell
Event Date: 24/05/2014 09:00 - 17:00
Macmillan Publishers are working with FLTRP Beijing on a major project to look at Chinese language learning at all levels internationally, with a view to supporting it and providing the right resources.
Macmillan Science and Education and the Confucius Institute for Scotland have organised a development day for teachers of Chinese at the Confucius Institute for Scotland in Edinburgh.
Participants must be fluent in Mandarin Chinese. If you are interested in attending, please contact Byron Russell, Discover China, at Macmillan.
- 09.00 – 09.30 Welcome – Coffee / Tea
- 09.30 – 11.00: Managing Expectations & Meeting Learner Needs 1:
- What are they and how can we meet them? (Trainer: Dede Wilson)
- Learner styles (Trainer: Dede Wilson)
- 11.00 – 11.15: Coffee Break
- 11.15 – 12.30: Managing Expectations & Meeting Learner Needs 2:
- How to stage lessons and activities effectively(Trainer: Dede Wilson)
- Utilising learner’s background knowledge(Trainer: Dede Wilson)
- 12.30 – 13.15: Lunch Break
- 13.15 – 15.30: Focus on methodology:
- Successful speaking activities and pronunciation (Trainer: Yanmei Wu)
- Successful listening activities (Trainer: Dede Wilson)
- Successful activities for teaching characters(Trainer: Zhu Zhu)
- 15.30 – 15.45: Coffee Break
- 15.45 – 17.00: Lesson planning:
- Sequencing (Trainer: Dede Wilson)
- Reviewing a lesson plan and group work (Trainer: Dede Wilson)
About Our Trainers:
Dede Wilson, MA, PGCE - Dede graduated from Washington College in the US with a Batchelor’s in Psychology. She then moved to the UK and studied for her Post Graduate Certificate in Education in ELT at Greenwich University. She went on to graduate with a Masters in ELT and Applied Linguistics at Kings College University of London. She has been involved in teacher development courses for over 20 years and has worked regularly in China with Chinese English language teachers in schools all over the country since 2003, delivering training courses for both Chinese state organisations and the British Council.
Yan Mei Wu, PhD - Yan Mei teaches at Manchester Metropolitan University, where she specialises in creative approaches to teaching Mandarin tones. She completed her MA in Visual Anthropology at University of London in 2011, and her MA in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language at Sheffield University in 2012. A performer and musician as well as teacher, Yanmei trained in dance and music; she is a dancer, singer, and Chinese zither player who has since gone on to perform to international acclaim. Her performances have been broadcast both on China Central Television (CCTV) and the BBC.
Zhu Zhu, PhD - Zhu is Chinese Language Programme Director at Asian Studies, University of Edinburgh, overseeing Chinese language courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She has worked in three UK universities and has extensive experience in training Chinese language teachers as well as in teaching language classes at ab initio to advanced levels. She is active in developing Chinese language textbooks, and her two books on Chinese writing skills are due to be published in the UK in 2015. Zhu holds a PhD in Translation Studies from Newcastle University and carries out research in the fields of translation studies, psycholinguistics, Chinese language teaching methodology and second language acquisition. Two books that she translated from English into Chinese were published in China in 2013.