Leading learning in languages
The 1+2 Languages Leadership Programme is the flagship national leadership programme. Jointly run by Education Scotland and SCILT, 1+2 LLP was celebrated at the GTCS Excellence in Professional Learning Awards in both 2017 and 2018.
The programme offers Masters level professional learning that supports schools, clusters and local authorities to build leadership capacity and is completely free of charge for educators in the public sector. Altogether up to 50 places are available to post-probationer teachers or teacher educators who have, or aspire to have a role in leading languages education for young people, families and colleagues in and beyond their own workplace.
The programme comprises a 4 day Summer School with followed by optional elements which lead towards the completion of learning activities on SCEL’s Framework for Educational Leadership and/or the award of GTCS Professional Recognition: leading learning in languages.
Free places on the 1+2 LLP are offered to any post-probationer teacher or teacher educator working in the public sector, and to date we have welcomed over two hundred participants onto the programme from across Scotland, with 50 achieving Professional Recognition.
Watch the film to get a flavour of the most recent Summer School.
- What a brilliant experience the last week has been. So very worthwhile in so many ways – thanks to everyone involved! I have taken away some great ideas, input, insights, and ammunition to help me continue with the campaign to embed the 1+2 policy and maintain the very important place of languages in our Scottish curriculum. I am grateful for this opportunity and for the chance to have met some great colleagues and practitioners. (1+2 LLP participant 2017-18)
Feedback on the Professional Recognition option:
- When we were made aware of the opportunity to undertake Professional Recognition I must be honest and say that, initially, I dismissed it outright. However, I felt very reassured by Lynne and by Emma. Lynne promised it would be undertaken in a supportive and relaxed environment and she was true to her word! The small group approach was very reassuring and actually very enjoyable.
- Would I recommend doing it? Absolutely! If you've taken the step to come to Summer School then you owe it to yourself to complete the process by returning for Recall Day … Plus, it gives you a chance to catch up again with the many lovely friends that you make over the course of [Summer School] (1+2 LLP participant 2018-19)
Applications for the programme are closed at the moment, but please email SCILT for more information.
The 1+2 Languages Leadership Programme is underpinned by:
Additional resources that programme participants or prospective programme participants might find useful include:
- develop their training skills;
- reflect on their own practice and share this with colleagues;
- learn from colleagues; and
- nurture and support teachers in their departments to develop their training skills.